What is this type of insurance?
The insurance is the responsibility for the carriage for total or partial loss in the carriage by road (trucks, bicycles, trailers, semi-trailers, etc.) Cargo, according to the Law on Carriage of Cars and according to the Convention on the International Carriage of Goods by Road (CMR).
The Convention on the International Carriage of Goods by Road by Road has been in force since 19 May 1956, under the auspices of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe. Bulgaria joined it on July 29, 1977 by virtue of the subsequent Decree №1143.
Road Carrier Liability Insurance (CMR) can be excluded by both the carrier and the freight forwarder or other interested party.
Openness in insurance The liability of the road carrier may relate to the translation of the following types:
- the so-called internal translation in the Republic of Bulgaria - according to the Road Translation Act;
- international translation in Europe and Asia - in accordance with the regime established by the Convention on Contracts for the International Carriage of Goods by Road (CMR), as well as cabotage services in the European Union - in accordance with the regulations in force. Cabotages offer transport services in the country by foreign transport companies, and the relevant national legislation applies to them.
What does the insurance cover?
The insurer covers the liability for insurance as transport of goods by road, according to the Convention on Contracts for the International Carriage of Goods by Road (CMR) for total or partial absence or damage of the goods, in accordance with Ch. IV of the Convention. The carrier is responsible for complete or partial absence or damage of the goods from the moment of its acceptance for transportation to the one upon delivery, as well as for delay in delivery.
The right to receive compensation only for the self-governing party - the owner of the cargo or a person completely exempt from it.
The carrier is not liable when the absence or damage is due to:
- errors or negligence of the rightful claimant;
- order of the entitled person;
- inherent defect of the goods;
- unavoidable circumstances;
- insurmountable consequences.
Defects of the vehicle are not released from the liability of the carrier.
The CMR Convention does not apply:
- in the case of shipments performed within the scope of international postal conventions;
- in the case of transport on mortal remains;
- when transporting things when changing residence.
According to Art. 23, para. 1 of the Convention on the International Carriage of Goods by Road (CMR), the carrier is liable for the total or partial loss of goods caused by it, such as the provision of security, the amount of which is determined depending on the maintenance of the goods at the place and time have been accepted for carriage.