Forbes magazine began compiling its ranking of the richest people in the world in 1987. In the first ranking, the number of billionaires is 140. Only five years later, the number doubled to 288, and in 2010 people over 1 billion dollars exceeds 1,000 people.
In March, Forbes published the latest ranking, according to which more than 2/3 of billionaires have accumulated their wealth on their own, and their number is 1645.
The combined fortune also rose an incredible $ 295 billion in 1987 to $ 6.4 trillion. dollars as of 2014. The limit of 1 trillion. dollar was overcome in 2001.
A record number of times (17) the leader in the ranking is Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates. He has also been at the top for the past two years, having previously lost the lead in 2010, 2011 and 2012 to Mexican Carlos Slim and investor Warren Buffett (2008).
The six-time winner in the most famous ranking in the world is the Japanese Yoshiaka Tsutsumi (1987-1990 and 1993-1994), and his compatriot Taikichiro Mori is the richest man in the world for 1991 and 1992).
Here are some more interesting facts from the ranking of billionaires from the last 27 years:
-Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi entered the rankings in 1988;
- Carlos Slim debuted at $ 1.7 billion in 1991;
- Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg joins the richest a year later;
- The first four Russian billionaires are from 1997;
- In 2004, Google was listed on the US stock exchange, and Larry Page and Sergei Brin are already billionaires;
- Four years later, Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg is already there.